Alaska: About Whaling!

Whaling is a highly debated issue. After commercial whaling was banned in the 1940s and later the quotas were introduced by the IWC the discussion is continued on different fronts. Japanese are still whaling on “behalf of science.” Following their example other small countries want to start whaling (again) or have already resumed it. The question is: to whale or not to whale?

The activity on whaling that I’m proposing here is based on cooperative learning principles. Consequently, there is an intial individual phase (THINK), when pupils watch a video in order to find arguments for or against native whaling (especially in the Alaskan Inuit community). In the second phase pupils pair up to complete a list with arguments (PAIR), and  in the group phase they can fill in a chart with pros and cons, and present these to the whole class (SHARE). Finally, the pupils reflect on their group work.
Whaling – Task Sheet
One of the two videos is based on the fantastic photo essay of Majik_Image, an American who’s been living with the Inuits for almost 30 years now.

5 thoughts on “Alaska: About Whaling!

1. hi Mr. bosoanca!
    wir sind manuel und simon aus ihrer alten englisch klasse an der euregio schule! 🙂
    wir hoffen das wir sie wieder in englisch haben könnten, denn wir haben jetz eine nicht so tolle lehrerin in englisch! 😀
    LG Simon und Manuel

2. Hay Mr. Bosoanca
    English with … suxx.. 😀 its realy bad.. i dont have anymore fun in the lesson , bye and i hope we have english next year with you. 😀 bye

1. Hi Lukas
      Nice to hear that you enjoyed our English lessons. I’d like to ask you to stop mentioning names or criticizing other teachers in your comments . I’d rather like you to comment on the blog post (in this case, your own opinion on whaling, for example). If you really want to tell me something personally, you can send me an email.
      Now, a short language check: you don’t have fun anymore with somebody or something or doing something. I’d use something like ‘the English lessons aren’t fun anymore’ (a Google search will return over 1 million results, whereas for ‘don’t have fun anymore’ only about 100000).
      Enjoy the rest of the holidays

3. hi
    ich bins max aus dem letztem jahr, ihre Seite
    ist sehr gut. gucke noch oft auf rein wir machen ja grade das gleiche. Hoff wir haben sie nächstes Jahr wieder xD

noch viel Spaß
    Max

1. @maximilian maas,
      Hi Max
      Thanks for your feedback. Nice to hear that you continue to read my blog posts. I really hope you can improve your English skills by reading and doing the activites or playng the games I recommend. Stay tuned for more-
      See you
      Mr Bosoanca